Saturday, April 20, 2013

Why You Should Thrift & Thrift Haul

Ever seen a thrift shop in your area? You should check it out. I only started thrifting recently, and I can't believe I spent the majority of my life avoiding it. I went to my local Goodwill and everything was so cheap and clean. Of course, not every thrift store is like that. I previously went to another thrift store (not Goodwill) and the things they had were vintage in a bad way. I also heard that the Salvation Army is a pretty good thrift shop to visit as well, but I don't have a close one nearby.

Goodwill is great to shop at because they help fund career education programs for people with disabilities or financial needs. Also read: http://www.goodwill.org/about-us/our-mission/
The Salvation Army also gives assistance to the needy.
Many local thrift shops with no big names may also be good at helping the needy.

Besides the help the stores offer, shopping there for the sake of shopping is pretty good. When I walked in my local Goodwill for the first time, it didn't feel like a thrift shop. It felt like I was stepping in a smaller version of JCPenny. Everything was organized. Not every store organizes its clothes like this, but the clothes were arranged by color. Most of the shirts were $3.50 and sweaters were $4 unless it had a tag that said otherwise.They also had all types of pants/jeans, jackets, toys, furniture, glassware, shoes, purses, belts, coats, and some other things.

The first thing I picked up were khaki pants from Old Navy. They were $4 and it looked brand new. (The pictures can be found here)

Next, I bought 3 shirts. The first one is a pink, striped, short sleeve shirt. It was $5 and it was the most expensive shirt I saw there. I was in love with it, so I couldn't let it go. It is originally from Aeropostale. (I normally hate that store because of the way they put the store's name on all their clothes, but this shirt had no brand name on it except for the tag)






The second shirt was only $3.50. The brand is Charlotte Russe. The texture feels so nice and this definitely doesn't look like the stereotypical thrift shop type of shirt.







































The last thing I bought was a pink sweater. It was $4. In person, it has very good quality. In fact, this sweater has the best quality in comparison to the rest of my sweaters. (which were bought from real stores)





















If you are on a budget or looking for brand name items for cheaper, thrifting is definitely a good option. I would have bought more things on that visit to the store, but I was busy that day so I couldn't spend too much time. I'm sure I would have stayed there the whole day otherwise because it's so fun to shop at. You never know what you will find.


Thanks for visiting my blog
~Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment